The OS Flame Wars!!!
Posted by Zerin
Now as a Computer Nerd and semi-respected computer technician, I’ve learned a thing or two about how computers work and do their job. Now that Home Computers are at such and advanced stage, with fancy graphical GUI’s and Speeds that rivals supercomputers in the 90’s. Many people still, time and time again, argue about which Operating System is best for the machines.
I’m talking about the Operating system flame wars seen on the Internet, in public and between friends sometimes. Now, if you have little idea about what I’m talking about, let me explain.
You go shopping for a new computer and look online, and like most people you are Windows Users. Then as you look around you think about maybe a Dell, a Sony, or a cheap Compaq. But then on a review for a cheap computer, you read an angry review from a guy who didn’t like that certain pc, and then goes on to compare to his other Apple computer and how it’s better, then someone counters with a rebuttal about how Linux runs better and it begins.
By now you leave the page cause it’s filled with nonsense and you start to think that Mac people are arrogant. Windows people are Dumb and Linux users are nerds. Well that may be what you saw, or have seen in the past. But it’s not true at all. (most of the time) Due to the fact that the internet is such a free and “open” space, anyone can say whatever the heck they feel like. And sometimes, their opinions are very strong.
So by reading through most of the flamewars i’ve been able to come across, I’ve learned that there are different types of people who participate. I won’t go into detail, but here they are.
- The Spark Starter: “PC sucks.’I’ve had them for 10 years now and I get the same result. Viruses, repair, crashes, repair, viruses, crash, repair…..”
- The Rebutter: “ohh yeah how much did you spend? That freaiking expensive man!”
- The Guy who keeps it going: Actual Quote (ADAM) “And can you play good games in Linux??…NOP!!… you can not :(, so GG linux.”
Are you wondering where you can find some of these famous flames? Would you like to see a war between OS? It’s not pretty, in fact you may be insulted and horrified, but for those out there who like this kind of terror, here are some links of famous OS blathering.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/tests/4258725#comments This one is a simple comparison between two similar machines, however see how this sparks flames for a war that started in, December 18, 2009. Older comments where removed.
http://forums.pcworld.com/index.php?/topic/105521- Someone who recommended Linux. The comments start nice, but then some dumb people start bashing things like in a bar.
See all the time I hear MS (Microsoft) Fanboys saying how Windows is fast and Compatible with any hardware and program, It’s true. To an extent.
Some people say Linux is best for Older hardware, servers, lightweight desktop OS’s, and Customizability, they may be right, but now that we’re in 2011, it’s undeniable that Power desktop users will take notice and do something about it.
A respected Mac Dude also once said.
“Did I mention that Leopard is a certified Unix product, too? Mac OS X is the only operating systems that can run all mainstream Windows and “*nix”-based operating systems — and host “*nix” software natively — with few of the usual security risks.”
Now what’s wrong with this statement? Well for one thing, I do believe he is confusing an OS with hardware. Intel-based Apple machines can run Windows, Mac OS and Linux. However the Mac OS itself cannot natively run “all” Windows Applications. So in the end it does not matter what type of OS you have, the hardware is what matters. I do not own an Apple Computer, but i am also able to natively run any Apple application natively on my pc. because in the end, it’s only software. And yes, you can install Mac OS on a homebuilt Computer.
Another dude (ramelcast) Said,
“This OS battle is losing its relevance. With Intel on the Mac, boot options, virtualization, Parallels, Boot Camp and all that, you can almost use whatever OS you want on any machine.”
But what are some of the points that people make that differentiate the OS’s? I won’t mention all of them due to the fact that some are exaggerations and maybe even lies, or even opinions. So I will post only facts.
Benefits of the OS: Windows
- Easily accessible, anyone can get a Windows Machine, for very cheap. And by anyone, I literally mean anyone, even if they don’t know anything about computers or have any money. (As long as they have nerdy tech friends)
- Compatibility, need a program? Buy a CD at Bestbuy, download it off the net. Easy to do, no computer experience necessary. Almost any program will work on Windows. Also Windows installs on most hardware and includes support for drivers and almost any external devices.
- Easy to use, everyone knows good old Windows.
- Join the crowd.
Drawback of the OS: Windows
- Viruses and Malware, evil programs.
- You can accidentally obtain badly programmed software.
- It may initially be easy to use, but without proper maintenance, can turn into a nightmare.
- (Depends on the user) May be more expensive in the long run. Sometimes, repairing a Windows machine due to bad user habits, makes a Windows PC more expensive than a MAC.
Benefits of the OS: Mac OS
- It works well, no need to deal with many hardware and software issues that plague the Windows and Linux crowd. Cause it comes all ready to go!
- Easy to use, (I’m sorry but it’s true, anyone who says otherwise may be computer impaired)
- Proprietary, You don’t have to deal with bad software (as much) and are generally protected by safe limitations.
- You special status goes up.
Drawback of the OS: Mac OS
- Proprietary, also meaning you are limited to what they allow you and are forced to buy their software.
- Not so compatible with all software. You can still Boot Camp Windows, but that requires buying a Windows license. $
Benefits of the OS: Linux based OS’s
- It’s free to Download and install on most machines. You can also buy machines with built in Linux eg. Ubuntu at http://www.system76.com/
- The software is free too, most of it.
- Great Community support. Poeple are motivated to help you becasue they want to, not becasue someone is paying them.
- Security can bolted on and make your Linux unhackable, (At least for a couple days.)
- Options, options, options, there’s a distro for almost anything.
Drawbacks of the OS: Linux based OS’s
- It does take time to get used to. So it is harder to use in a way. Depending on the Linux Distibution. Eg, Ubuntu = easier. Gentoo = OMG what the heck!
- Propritary hardware limits Linux users. Along with Propritary Linux drivers.
- Not all Windows Applications run on Linux, and if it does, it may require some brainpower on your part.
Also you’ve maybe noticed that I didn’t mention security on a Mac or Windows. This due to that fact that all operating systems can be hacked. I mentioned Linux security only because it can be “added to it” but not because it has built in security. It is noteworthy to mention that no OS is secure out of the box. This fact’s about Windows, Macs, and Linux OS’s are not to start yet another war, just to mention things as they are. And even manufacters are joining in by bragging and misinforming the public.
Apple : http://www.apple.com/why-mac/
Microsoft: I tried looking for something they would have against mac. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/pc-vs-mac.aspx I found this, close enough. They also do have beef against Linux though. http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/05/28/100033867/index.htm
Lol trying to sue free software. Sure they can have one Bazillion Imaginary FOSS dollars. This is old though way back in 2007. They are now treating the Linux crowd a bit nicer.
What the Average Tech Dude says.
orb9220: “But even putting all that aside it comes down to one simple truth. “The Majority of People Don’t Care about the OS.” They just want to email,browse send pics and IM chat and listen to music or watch movies. And in the easiest and most flashy bling ridden apps you can develop. I have customers that been on computers for 5 years and they still haven’t got a clue about setting up and understanding the simplest concept of folders. Or I saved a doc where is it? To them they don’t want to learn. They don’t even want to click a button to clean their system of malware,spyware,etc… As have intalled those free version which require you to manually run them once a week or month. And they still get infested because of laziness. For the Masses the OS does not Matter! As they see it as a appliance where we see it as a tool.”
In an interview with your (real) average Windows user.
Mal1000:It’s not something I worry about. People have their own opinions. I think is depends on what you want from a computer.
So what does all this mean? That it doesn’t matter. No one cares. Enjoy these funny Comics related to the OS Wars.
(sigh) this is all not to be taken seriously and meant for informative and entertainment purposes only. Hope you enjoyed my post. Sorry i took long to write another one, i was working on this one for two days. Took me a long time to write everything up without choking myself. Plus i have a life too you know. Remeber though the moral of the story…
No one cares what Operating System you use. They only care if you can offer tech support on any of them. And I can.
About ZerinBut can you show me the source code?
Posted on January 27, 2011, in Computers and Internet, Fun Stuff, Linux Stuff, Rants, Windows and tagged Apple, Linux, Mac OS, Mac OS X, Microsoft, Microsoft Windows, Operating system, Windows. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.